Random Chitchat 2012-2016
Finally managed to render the bulb in full HDBig Grin
So how about some Mandelbulby Minecraft terrain?Tongue

[Image: 6181_1391026470.jpg] [Image: 5421_1391026526.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That would be crazy awesome Smile
Thanks given by:
A hat tip to you if you can pull that one off Smile
But mandelbulbs are rather small objects, they don't go to infinity, like MC terrain, right? You'll need to use something a little bit different, so that it maps to the entire world.

I would be interested to know even what the mandelbulb would look like in MC, as a normal object. Maybe make a Lua script with the mandelbulb calculation for a 256x256x256 cube, store the results in a file and then use MCS to load that file and "print" it into the world.
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately Mandelbulbs aren't interesting at all until you zoom in, so a 256x256x256 area will look more like a sphere than display the characteristics of a Mandelbulb. On that note here's an overview of the whole thing
[Image: 9626_1391028142.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It looks like a giant space alien with lots of serrated teeth.

SamJBarney, use those SQL attack vectors that you were looking so hard for to destroy it before it reaches Earth!
Thanks given by:
I'm thinking that it could actually be possible to "unroll" a mandelbulb so that it covers an entire world. I expect you currently have a way of checking [XYZ] coords, if they are in the set or not. If you map those coords into [ThetaPhi] coords and use those as block XZ coords, together with the radius being the Y block coord, it would map the sphere repeatedly onto the world plane. Since the radius is limited into a single interval, it fits well with MC's limit of Y height. The question is, what it would look like after such unrollingTongue And another question is whether the client would even survive rendering it - it has problems rendering terrain that is too "difficult".

Sethbling was there before us...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Esx-jWPv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr9pGGQ1WeE
Thanks given by:
Sounds cool!
Thanks given by:
Good luck "unrolling" thisTongue

float gBailout = 10.0f;
__host__ __device__ float DE(const float3& pos) 
{
	float3 zn = pos;
	float hit = 0.0;
	const float p = 8.0;
	float d = 1.0;

float th = 0.0f;
	float phi = 0.0f;
	float rado = 0.0f;
	float sint = 0.0f;

// 15
	for( int i = 0; i < 10; i++ )
	{
		float rad = float3len(zn);

if( rad > 2.0f )
		{	
			hit = 0.5f * logf(rad) * rad / d;
		}else{			
			th = atan2f( float2len(zn.x, zn.y), zn.z );
			phi = atan2f( zn.y, zn.x );		
			rado = powf(rad,8.0);
			d = powf(rad, 7.0f) * 7.0f * d + 1.0f;

sint = sinf( th * p );
			zn.x = rado * sint * cosf( phi * p );
			zn.y = rado * sint * sinf( phi * p );
			zn.z = rado * cosf( th * p ) ;
			zn = float3add(zn, pos);
		}

}

return hit;
}

I actually suspect this function to "roll" it into a sphere anyway, if you increase the power in this function (it's 8 right now) it will repeat itself many times and display a clear pattern. Unrolling the Mandelbulb would simply yield a terrain with "bulbs" all over the place as seen on the Mandelbulb repeated already.

This video keeps changing the power all the time, to give you an impression of what it does to the Mandelbulb http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4wy_oc6Y3A

This is what it looks like with a power of 16. As you can see it simply repeats the bulbs more.
[Image: 6156_1391030368.png]
Thanks given by:
I think we've just discovered a new sport in Minecraft, with Antonio. We're hunting a server crash while regenerating chunks, so in order to vandalize the chunks properly, I installed the Bullet plugin, by STR_Warrior ( https://forum.cuberite.org/showthread.php?tid=1230 ) And suddenly we're shooting "lazors" at each other while flying around in creative mode, trying to trap each other in the diamond blocks. Wife came in and after watching us for a minute, said something about childplay and left again Smile
Thanks given by:
(01-30-2014, 07:20 AM)FakeTruth Wrote: Good luck "unrolling" thisTongue

th = atan2f( float2len(zn.x, zn.y), zn.z );
phi = atan2f( zn.y, zn.x );		
rado = powf(rad,8.0);
// There ^^^ is your BlockX, BlockZ and BlockY, already unrolled Smile My job is done before it even started Smile
Thanks given by: