Weird problems with self-compiled server
Hi to all!
After a long playing with MCServer,i decided to register hereBig Grin
I've some problems running MCServer on my raspberry pi
I always downloaded sources and compiled it by myself,
on my last build i've found some problems,basically:
1)minecarts are completely broken on 1.4.7 and 1.5.2 clients, if I put a minecart somewere the client crashes with "ticking entity" error. If I log in with 1.6.2 client minecarts are usable and removable (after removal old clients act normally)
2)If I sleep in a bed (1.4.7 and 1.6.2 client),I cannot get up anymore D: I have to kill (yes,kill D: ) my client and log in again,then teleport myself somewere (because when I log in I find myself trapped like if my head is trapped into another block D: )
3)Worlds started growing in storage size,my preferred world jumped from 27 to 58MB after a few saves,and a new world with very little exploration is at 408MB D: previously worlds were about 20-30MB in size. Also if I play with "compressionFactor=" option in world.ini I get only a damaged world (random chunks replaced with ocean biome... I don't want an ocean in my garden D: ) plus always size increment.
4)If I issue command /portal,it does nothing. I have to log out and then log in to teleport
to new world.It's a problem or it's normal behaviour?
Obviously previous buildings of MCServer didn't have those problems. I must note that I stopped updating when redstone rewrite begun,so my old "stable" setup (which doesn't have those bugs,but have other orrible bugs) is some months old.
I've tried sources downloaded with git about an hour ago,nothing D:
Any help/hint for fixing at least 3)? I just cannot save tons of gigabytes on my raspberry D:
Thanks given by:
Hello, welcome to the forum Smile

As to #3, the increase in world size is caused by the compression factor, we decided to try it out because it should be much less CPU-intensive, so the Pi won't have to do so much compressing and could spend its time on more gameplay. The damaged world is most likely a result of the chunk generator kicking in for some of the chunks. Did you change your generator settings? That's the only explanation I can give for different terrain being generated. If you make a copy of the old setup and issue a /regen command somewhere does the chunk get reset to ocean, too?
Thanks given by:
I didn't change anything in the generator settings,it's the generator that have changed over time! The map was generated in an old version of MCServer,and you can find things like taiga next to swampland next to ice plains next to jungle next to mushroom island,and all in about 100 blocks :O because of this if I /regen a chunk ocean appears,as you said.
There is a value in compression factor that forces MCServer to work like old versions? I never had problems in terms of cpu usage.
Oh,and regenerated chunks appear when server loads the map after putting a value >0 in compressionFactor,even if the map is a copy of original,compressed one (i.e. it wasn't saved with newer versions of MCServer)
Thanks given by:
The generator hasn't changed for about 1.5 years now. Yes, the defaults have changed, so if you didn't fill in any of the parameters in the world.ini file (the server outputs a red warning to the console about this), they may have changed, but putting in the old defaults should restore your world.

Normal compression level was "6" before the setting was introduced, so using that should keep your files at reasonable sizes. Note that it won't shrink the already-large files, though.
Thanks given by:
It works! No more growing worlds and no more regenerated chunks! I've also a theory about that: I had regenerated chunks with "compressionFactor=20" "compressionFactor=50" and "compressionFactor=100",so maybe if it's too high it makes mcserver crazy D: I wasn't aware of valid values of compression factor,so just tried some random values...
Even if I'm happy for now with the server,for other issues? Should I open a bug ticket?
Thanks given by:
Compression factor I think is 0 - 9. 0 is none, 9 is your computer doing one chunk for 5 mins to get it 5% smaller than 6Tongue
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2014, 03:19 AM)bearbin Wrote: Compression factor I think is 0 - 9. 0 is none, 9 is your computer doing one chunk for 5 mins to get it 5% smaller than 6Tongue
So 20/50/100 is...Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Not valid, probably will just set it to 9.
Thanks given by: