Can't find server info
Okay, I'm attempting to run MCServer, compiled from source, on my computer so I can give it a test run with myself. One problem; after I run the exe, I can't find the address of the darn thing.

I've been trying to find documentation, but all I can find is the wiki which isn't that helpful. So, then, I ask, I ask with all the drama necessary of making a Minecraft Server:

After I run the MCServer.exe, what do I do? Namely, how do I configure my Server Name and ip address?

EDIT: I figured it out; I connected to my computer's own ip address. Well, okay, that's more on me. Still~
Thanks given by:
It's pretty basic, if you're stepping into something that's networked, that IP address isn't chosen on application level. IPs are assigned by ISPs (internet service providers). Then, if there's a software that's listening to a specific port on a machine that is assigned to a specific IP - you can connect to this software.
On software side you have control over which port to use (listen, in case of server application).

Regarding server name - go to your MCS folder and find settings.ini. Under the [Server] section you'll fing Description=something. This "something" is your server's description sting, the one that'll show up in clients when they click "Multiplayer".
Thanks given by:
You don't need to set the IP address as such - it's automatically configured by MCServer. To find out what IP address your computer has you can do
Code:
ipconfig
on the command line (assuming windows), then connect to that in minecraft. If you want it to be available externally you're probably better off renting a VPS and putting MCServer there, but you can do port forwarding if you want. (Search the internet for more details on how to do this.)

BTW, the wiki is terrible, don't use it. Get your information from the forums and GitHub, and if you want to develop plugins, you should visit the APIDump documentation.

Also, thanks for using MCServer Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah, as I said in my edit, I figured that minimum out after asking; oh well.

But! Now that I have you: Is there any documentation on the file structure of MCServer? I'm trying to poke around the source code and it would be nice to have a map.
Thanks given by:
The CONTRIBUTING file on GitHub has some basic information, but there's not really any detailed explanation.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 12:23 AM)bearbin Wrote: The CONTRIBUTING file on GitHub has some basic information, but there's not really any detailed explanation.

Wasn't, as far as I can tell. There is something in the GETTING-STARTED file. Is that new, or am I legally blind?
Thanks given by:
Sorry, wrong file. I meant GETTING-STARTED. It was there before, but the file's only a month or two old.
Thanks given by: