PathFinder status
I'm busy with life and I'm pausing work till approx 20.6 20.5,
I'll be back!
Thanks given by:
[Image: image.png?w=680&c=1]
Thanks given by:
I created a craftscript for WorldEdit to create mazes to test the new path finder. It can create some pretty good mazes:
[Image: 9a0735a58f.jpg]

But it usualy also produces some really weird stuff:
[Image: 60216fec0d.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Do you think it's possible to make the pathfinder run in a different thread? Created a few (allot) chickens, and the chickens made the server freeze for about 0.5 seconds per tick.
Thanks given by:
That would be more expensive for most paths. A better solution would be to tune the depth parameter based on time to do a tick.
Thanks given by:
Would be nice if this could be made to work with a large number of animals. Some people build farms with literally thousands of chickens. Smile
Thanks given by:
The pathfinder cannot be split into a separate thread, because in order for it to work, it still needs access to the chunk which means it would lock other threads out anyway. You'll have multiple threads, but they won't be able to execute in parallel.
Thanks given by:
It's probably the too high CALCULATIONS_PER_TICK parameter, it was 5 before, and TigerW set it to 60 to accommodate for the current not-so-great path recalculation. I hoped that the performance change would not be noticeable, but it seems it is.

I've lowered it back to the way it was before.

Also, once we have all the basic features in place, I'll work pretty hard on optimizations. I am considering implementing Jump Point Search, it would be a very noticeable performance boost.
Thanks given by:
How does the java based vanilla server handle it when there are so many many more mobs to keep in check, when someone has, say, 1000 or so amassed in a tiny space, for farming eggs, or something like that?

Does it maybe just take a certain number of these animals and move them around, while the others are set to stay put and idle until it's their "turn"?
(Hope it's okay if I participate, I find the whole thing very interesting).
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 09:45 PM)Jammet Wrote: How does the java based vanilla server handle it when there are so many many more mobs to keep in check, when someone has, say, 1000 or so amassed in a tiny space, for farming eggs, or something like that?

That's a very interesting question.
Honestly, I have no idea what Vanilla does. Perhaps it simply lags?Tongue
Thanks given by: