Creating a custom server address?
Is there a way I can set up a custom address instead of having it as (my ip):25565?
Thanks given by:
What do ya thins is "Port=25565" in the "settings.ini" for?Tongue
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2014, 09:52 AM)LO1ZB Wrote: What do ya thins is "Port=25565" in the "settings.ini" for?Tongue

so if I change it to "Port=mc.myserver.name"

you would then type mc.myserver.name into Direct connect and it would connect?
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2014, 10:04 AM)shapoopytroopy Wrote:
(11-03-2014, 09:52 AM)LO1ZB Wrote: What do ya thins is "Port=25565" in the "settings.ini" for?Tongue

so if I change it to "Port=mc.myserver.name"

you would then type mc.myserver.name into Direct connect and it would connect?

You asked how to change the port, if you want to use a hostname, you have to set up a "A Resource Record"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DNS_record_types
Thanks given by:
First, you need to own the domain you want to use though,
You can't randomly use a name and expect it to work, you need to buy a domain or get a free dyndns or something.
For it to work, and then set the dns records to link to the ip address the server is hosted on.
Thanks given by:
You can use http://www.noip.com/ for this. Its pretty simplistic and automatically updates as your IP updates. I found this extremely convenient. Keep in mind though, you will be using an IP such as diablosworld.no-ip.org:25565. If you're looking for something like diablosworld:25565 you're most likely going to have to pay.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2014, 05:45 AM)thesilentdiablo Wrote: You can use http://www.noip.com/ for this. Its pretty simplistic and automatically updates as your IP updates. I found this extremely convenient. Keep in mind though, you will be using an IP such as diablosworld.no-ip.org:25565. If you're looking for something like diablosworld:25565 you're most likely going to have to pay.

Im not sure how to set it up on no-ip the only options im seeing are pay per year domains
Thanks given by:
At the very top of the screen, just hit the tiny download. Then hit download now on the next page. You'll have to register I believe, but other than that it is completely free as long as you use their subdomains such as diablosworld.no-ip.org
Thanks given by:
so I have Dlink and they give a free hostname out to dlink users, but the ip has to be set up by the user, so do I use my public ip address, and my ipv4 address, which should I use for the hostname and what should I do for the servers ip, leave it how it is or modify it? I currently have it set to my public ip and have the server how it was when I downloaded it (ip wise). and I have no way to test it since I can always open the server on my computer, and as a side note, I tried to use minecraftservers.org to check if it was working, but it says that my server is offline, and MCserver says "Client "(ip)" uses an unsupported protocol <lengthed, version 77>". what can I do about this and/or does it matter? (thought this thread applied to my question)
Thanks given by:
Man, have you even read what you've written? You know, there's two special keys on your keyboard, you might want to start using them. They're called comma and dot, and they're located in the lower right part of the keyboard.

MCServer does not need any IP setting, it automatically listens on all IP addresses available for the computer.
If you want people from the outside to connect to your server, you need to:
- configure your router / modem to relay the traffic (port forwarding)
- find out your public IP and give that to your friends
- (optionally) use a third party service that provides a hostname to IP mapping (so that instead of giving the IP to your friends, you can give them a name, such as "mcserver.tggtggt.dlink.net")

Note that neither of these steps is MCServer-specific. There's nothing the server can do for you and you don't need to set anything special in the server; rather, this is about your home network setup, which is unique to your home and so not many people can help you without knowing your home setup.

About that unsupported protocol, we'll have to check on that, it seems that they might be using some other protocol version to check your server.
Thanks given by: