Bandwidth question
Hey guys,

I have been doing some research, and I haven't been able to get a straight answer on a question I had. I plan on running a Minecraft server, but with my home connection. I worried because I don't want my internet to be clogged up (have a crappy 4 mb/s from ATT U-Verse). How much would a 100, 50, and 25 player server take in bandwidth with MCServer?

Thanks in advance! Smile
Thanks given by:
I supposed 4 mb/s is the downloadspeed?
I would say 1 player with a view-range of 4.
Thanks given by:
(12-28-2014, 01:38 PM)LO1ZB Wrote: I supposed 4 mb/s is the downloadspeed?
I would say 1 player with a view-range of 4.

WHAT???? HOW MUCH DO I NEED???? Huh
Thanks given by:
I would say at least 10Mb/s (Megabit per sec) up.
That should be enoght for 20 player with viewrange of 10 to be smooth.
Remember: don't count on my word.
I can tell you, you can't host a server with a 6k connection. (512 kbits up)
Thanks given by:
I have 1.5Mb/s upload and I can host 5 people with 10 chunk view distance at a moderate rate, down speed isn't to bad for this though.
Thanks given by:
I don't think it's as much about speed as it is about roundtrip times. Nowadays the home connections are LFP (long fat pipes), the technology is more oriented towards the speed than the delay.

Most of the network traffic comes from streaming chunks. All the other packets are only a few bytes long, but for a normal-shaped world, a single chunk is around 8 KiB. So a player connecting, with viewdistance of 10, would require 8 KiB * 21 chunks * 21 chunks = 3.5 MiB burst on game start. Of course the player will start much sooner than they get all the chunks - normally when they have just a few chunks around them, I'd say 5 * 5 chunks, which means 200 KiB of data.

When the player is moving, the chunks they require are at most double the edges, so for viewdistance of 10 that means some 41 chunks, 300 KiB. How often does a player cross the chunk boundary? With minecarts travelling at top speed, 8 blocks / sec, the player needs a new set of chunks every 2 seconds. So the worst case network usage for absolutely smooth gameplay is 300 KiB / 2 seconds, or 150 KiB / sec (1200 kbps) for each player. This is regardless of the server software used.

Note, however, that this is only the theoretical number, with regular gameplay where people mostly stay at once place, the network speed requirements will be much lower. When walking (top speed 4.3 blocks / sec) the top bandwidth is 80 KiB / sec (650 kbps), and that's only when walking in a straight line.
Thanks given by:
Minecraft actually uses very little bandwidth, so you're probably fine with what you've got ATM. I would still recommend hosting somewhere else though, it's much easier than maintaining a home system.
Thanks given by:
I'm hosting the Gallery server at my home, and it seems alright Smile
I do have a 120 / 10 Mbps connection, true, but I'm using it not only for the server.
Thanks given by: