Would you guys mind if I distribute MCServer + LuaJIT binaries?
I'd like to make a repo for these binaries as, at least to my knowledge, they don't exist. I've sucessfully built binaries for ARM/x64 Linux that use LuaJIT instead of regular Lua without much effort. I saw a HUGE difference in speed and hoped it would help RPi2/Beaglebone users out here as well. Smile It managed to broadcast 100000 chat messages to all clients in under 2 seconds while regular interpreted Lua took about 4 minutes.
Thanks given by:
WOW! This is just awesome!
Thanks given by:
Here, have an unprofessional Dropbox repo: Smile (Hopefully temporary...)

http://tinyurl.com/mftcvgp
Thanks given by:
Might there be way to compile this into the project and ship it within the MCServer binary? ATM I have to install luajit.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, that's odd. Especially since I used a static library. I'll look into it. Seems like it works perfectly with distro-packaged line though.

The process was extremely hacky, I was modifying CMake and link.txt files for this to work so I wouldn't doubt it if I did something weird.

EDIT: Sorry about that, I forgot to explicitly append .a in a link.txt file. I got a couple of static builds now. Unfortunately I can only target x64 and armhf now for some reason. Sad
Thanks given by:
I was wondering if the speed increase from LuaJIT was anything noticable in the "regular use cases" - not something as synthetic as sending 10k messages, but normal gameplay. I don't think it's a bottleneck, but if it becomes something worthwhile, we might want to look at integrating LuaJIT in the base repo.
Thanks given by:
Good point. It might also be worth checking if a Lua world generator is faster in LuaJIT. As far as I know the only Lua generator we currently have is my FloatingIsland plugin.
Thanks given by:
I did notice a bit of a difference with my Beaglebone Black, a less capable device compared to the RPi2. It especially helped to decrease input lag on hooks such as left/right-click on my custom gamemode plugins. Now people at least have the option to do this, it compiled pretty seemlessly after some editing. Smile
Thanks given by:
Can you post the changes needed. We might be able to make a less hacky version.
Thanks given by:
It would be awesome having this in the main repo! Many of my friends tell me that bigger plugins aren't that fast on MCServer and a big German Minecraft community is most likely going to switch to MCServer soon.
Thanks given by: