Giving MCServer a version number
(05-09-2015, 02:55 AM)tigerw Wrote: Then why not have master as testing?

I see your point, there's no point in people testing the "testing" branch.

Perhaps the "testing" branch should be an "internal one", meaning people are not supposed to test it directly, and no official binaries exist for it. The adventurers would use the Master branch, the rest will use Stable, and when a bug is detected in Master which is related to what's in testing, stuff are pushed to testing.

In other words:

Code:
Master ---(bugfixes/rotations)--->  Testing ---(rotations)---> stable ---> Binaries: Stable releases.
|                                                                                                                        
V        
Binaries: "Nightlies" / call them whatever you want

Edit: Now that I think of it again, I don't see how it's better than having people test "testing", you can ignore my previous post.
Thanks given by:
The reason to not have master as testing is that you don't want a big feature pull request landing on the testing branch just before a promotion. By having a testing branch, features can land on master at any time, but are only promoted to testing periodically, so that all feature code in testing has been tested for a week or two before promotion.
Thanks given by:
@tiger Why did you delete the testing branch? I've given my reasoning behind it.
Thanks given by:
I didn't delete anything :P

The delayed-deploy makes sense, thanks.
Thanks given by:
I have evidenceConfused.

But it was probably a mistake.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
I agree with a testing branch too, and I have an idea for it, a testing server. When the testing branch is updated with new features or bugfixes, it would be fine if we had a server to test together.
It could have core dumps enabled to detect crashes or similar things.
Unfortunately, I lost my free vps Sad.
Thanks given by:
We could use mine. It's a very cheap VPS hosted in Germany.
Thanks given by:
@bearbin doing builds so you just need to track that. It shouldn't be too difficult to write an auto update script.
Thanks given by:
I already wrote my own update script. it works very well. So I just have to wait for the builds to start
Thanks given by:
The first testing build is complete http://builds.cuberite.org/job/MCServer%.../artifact/
Thanks given by: