Giving MCServer a version number
We should really give MCServer a version number with OpenSource style like 0.4.13 or something. The Number in fact doesn't matter, but then we do have something to ship with the querys from the query protocol. I know that we could also use the git revision code, but this kind of versioning is not that readable. And we could higher the version number with each bigger step we take into compatibility with vanilla.
Thanks given by:
Maybe it's possible to add the buildattempt to the download name. For example "MCServer build #451.tar"
Thanks given by:
That is still not that readable. And it will reset if we reboot or switch our buildserver. So let's say we have our
Code:
MCServer#513.tar.gz
after a buildserver restart or switch it would be
Code:
MCServer#1.tar.gz
again
Thanks given by:
The problem is that we cannot calculate the version numbers from git. Unless you want a horrible script that only works when the git command line tools are installed. So we would need to implement a versioning cycle. Then we have to decide when we bump the version? If its every commit we get different versions. If its every merge it makes PR's more work to merge because we cant use the github ui. If its periodically it will hardly ever happen. If its on a major change what counts as a major change?

It would be far more useful at the current stage of development to return the commit id.
Thanks given by:
But I agree, a version number would help a lot. Users like me are looking for that and we're like "Heh... what ... which one?"
Thanks given by:
I agree with @worktycho about all those maintenance costs involved to generate a human-readable version number. The git commit ID should be good enough.

The commit ID is already "burnt" into the executable (at least when building on CI and on the nightbuild servers), it shouldn't be that difficult to export it through an API for plugins to use.
Thanks given by:
Or to log it in the console when the server starts?
Thanks given by:
I believe it's already logged into the console, but API is much better.
Thanks given by:
Why dont we just do releases in github named MCServer 0.X.X and set todos for next releases and increase version number when getting closer to vanilla. Those releases would be marked as stable and avaliable in github releases tab for all OS
Thanks given by:
Yeah and the build-server would only need to compile the things in the release stage
Thanks given by: