IRC Reminder
Freenode provides an webclient for thire IRC service.
https://webchat.freenode.net/
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 07:38 AM)xoft Wrote: That's one of the reasons why I hate IRC - it's just way too complicated to use casually. Why can't there be a simple web page where I go, post a message, and be done with it? I need to install a piece of software with cryptic user interface, or I need someone to set up a server for me with who knows what software I'd need to learn. Come on, I'm an old guy, I can't learn so much new stuff.

I'll admit, user interfaces for IRC programs I never liked nor could ever fully learn because it is so complex and confusing. Right now, HexChat is as simple as I can get from what I know of. Undecided
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 07:38 AM)xoft Wrote: That's one of the reasons why I hate IRC - it's just way too complicated to use casually. Why can't there be a simple web page where I go, post a message, and be done with it? I need to install a piece of software with cryptic user interface, or I need someone to set up a server for me with who knows what software I'd need to learn. Come on, I'm an old guy, I can't learn so much new stuff.

Approach 1:
https://webchat.freenode.net/ is pretty much a simple web page where you can go, post a message, and be done with it . But a web interface will not allow you to see logs that were there before you connected, and you'll need to consult the BotBot logs when first joining in order to catch up with the conversation.

Approach 2:
This is as simple as the approach above, with the additional bonus of not needing BotBot at all. If you accept my offer, you'll be able to do this:
Code:
ssh xoft@safwat's domain
<Type password>
#Ta-da! You now see a pretty simple IRC window, with infinite scrollup and ability to type.

Approach 3:
(05-12-2015, 07:44 AM)Shadowraix Wrote: I'll admit, user interfaces for IRC programs I never liked nor could ever fully learn because it is so complex and confusing. Right now, HexChat is as simple as I can get from what I know of. Undecided

IMHO Pidgin is by far the most user-friendly GUI for IRC.

Edited the post slightly.
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 07:45 AM)Safwat Wrote:

Approach 1:
https://webchat.freenode.net/ is pretty much a simple web page where you can go, post a message, and be done with it . But a web interface will not allow you to see logs that were there before you connected, and you'll need to consult the BotBot logs when first joining in order to catch up with the conversation.

Approach 2:
This is as simple as the approach above, with the additional bonus of not needing BotBot at all. If you accept my offer, you'll be able to do this:
Code:
ssh xoft@safwat's domain
<Type password>
#Ta-da! You now see a pretty simple IRC window, with infinite scrollup and ability to type.

(05-12-2015, 07:44 AM)Shadowraix Wrote: I'll admit, user interfaces for IRC programs I never liked nor could ever fully learn because it is so complex and confusing. Right now, HexChat is as simple as I can get from what I know of. Undecided

IMHO Pidgin is by far the most user-friendly GUI for IRC.

Edited the post slightly.

You are a life saver. xD
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 05:48 AM)NiLSPACE Wrote: Whenever there is an IRC I usualy try to avoid it, simply because I don't really like it for some reason.

While I always liked IRC, and have been on it since 1996 or so, I sympathize. To me, it always feels like I'm missing something if I'm actually there, and while I'm IDLE there are masses and masses of scrollback buffer to hassle through, just because there might be this tiny bit of info that is actually relevant to me.

A forum has the advantage that communication is asynchronous and that you can pick up where you left off, and you usually see at a glance what matters. It's just a lot less clutter.
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 09:08 AM)Jammet Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 05:48 AM)NiLSPACE Wrote: Whenever there is an IRC I usualy try to avoid it, simply because I don't really like it for some reason.

While I always liked IRC, and have been on it since 1996 or so, I sympathize. To me, it always feels like I'm missing something if I'm actually there, and while I'm IDLE there are masses and masses of scrollback buffer to hassle through, just because there might be this tiny bit of info that is actually relevant to me.

A forum has the advantage that communication is asynchronous and that you can pick up where you left off, and you usually see at a glance what matters. It's just a lot less clutter.

Well, this is why we have IRC yet never get rid of the forum. They work together. The forum is good for discussions to sustain over long periods of time or to contain useful information. IRC is for well--chatting. More of a in the moment thing if you can get what I mean.
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 09:08 AM)Jammet Wrote: A forum has the advantage that communication is asynchronous and that you can pick up where you left off, and you usually see at a glance what matters. It's just a lot less clutter.

Yes, Being synchronous is an IRC disadvantage. But it can be mitigated with log bots or with bots that send you the last x messages.

Imho, the most convenient setup is having a 24/7 client running in a server that you can ssh into. Scrollback is infinite and it's all very convenient once you've got the initial setup.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I've used that kind of setup (screen/epic) for a really, really long time. Make use of what you have, I'm sure it'll be a good thing. Smile
Thanks given by: