IRC Reminder
This is just a friendly reminder to join the IRC: #mcserver @ freenode

The channel is already mentioned in the forum, but I thought I should mention it again because the IRC has gained some traction and I encourage you all to join.

Prediction: Xoft will post a message saying he doesn't like IRC because it's not as organized as the forum (despite the fact that he crams non-important posts in a non-organized manner in a post called "what we're doing")Tongue
Thanks given by: sphinxc0re , jan64
For some reason I just really hate IRC. I much rather use What we're doing, since the messages are actualy saved in a place where everyone can reach it, so that it at least can be found back. It's also overal much easier to just place a message in the night, and look if someone has answered the day after.

Whenever there is an IRC I usualy try to avoid it, simply because I don't really like it for some reason.
Thanks given by:
I've tried finding stuff in What we're doing. Its really not easy. The forum search will only tell you whether or not your keywords been mentioned in thread. The IRC logs have a search function that will identify the exact message.

More of a problem is that its harder to have a delayed conversion. So at the moment I'm using both. IRC when someone who can answer the question is their, what we're doing when their isn't.
Thanks given by:
You need to switch the forum search to display individual posts, rather than entire threads. Then it's rather easy to find what you're looking for.
Still, as Safwat said, stuffing everything into a single thread has become a really bad habit of mine, and I'm actively trying to get rid of it.
Thanks given by:
Quote:For some reason I just really hate IRC.
No logic here.

Quote:I much rather use What we're doing, since the messages are actualy saved in a place where everyone can reach it, so that it at least can be found back.
The IRC is logged and can be easily reached here: https://botbot.me/freenode/mcserver/

Quote:It's also overal much easier to just place a message in the night, and look if someone has answered the day after.
It's the same level of ease with IRC logging.
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 06:59 AM)xoft Wrote: You need to switch the forum search to display individual posts, rather than entire threads. Then it's rather easy to find what you're looking for.
Still, as Safwat said, stuffing everything into a single thread has become a really bad habit of mine, and I'm actively trying to get rid of it.

I don't think it's a bad habit of yours. Non important things are meant to be stuffed and dispatched quickly (and usually doesn't need logging), that's why IRC is for.

And your intuition works that way, you know that you don't need a new post for every "yay, 2000th pr" and this is why you cram stuff in "What we're doing", it's not a bad thing.
Thanks given by:
Yes, that one is perfectly fine there, but a post asking for opinions on something definitely isn't.
Thanks given by:
Is there a web interface I could use for IRC?
Also, the link to the web log should go somewhere important so that it can be found easily.
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 07:29 AM)xoft Wrote: Is there a web interface I could use for IRC?
Also, the link to the web log should go somewhere important so that it can be found easily.

I could set you up an irssi inside tmux within an ssh server if you're interested. The awesome thing is that you won't need the log bot any more because irssi is connected to the IRC forever. You'll be able to scroll back as you please whenever you connect.

I wanted to PM you but it seems there's a bug with PM's and I might have a backlog of unsent PMS D:
Did my last message reach you?
Thanks given by:
That's one of the reasons why I hate IRC - it's just way too complicated to use casually. Why can't there be a simple web page where I go, post a message, and be done with it? I need to install a piece of software with cryptic user interface, or I need someone to set up a server for me with who knows what software I'd need to learn. Come on, I'm an old guy, I can't learn so much new stuff.
Thanks given by: