Player skins without authenticating
Hello!
I'm wondering if there could be a way to fetch a player's skin from Mojang's servers without authenticating, and then apply it when the player joins the server. Maybe one could create a custom authentication server that does only this (if it makes any sense, I don't know)?
Thanks given by:
Honestly, I would foresee legal problems for Cuberite if this were to be implemented. Anyone remember the open source Battlenet?
Thanks given by:
A custom auth server would still need the clients to auth against it, too, which would require modding or changing the HOSTS file for the clients to log in.

I believe we could implement a much simpler approach - if in auth-offline mode and the admin sets it up, the server could still contact Mojang servers and request the skin (there's API for that: http://wiki.vg/Mojang_API#UUID_-.3E_Prof...kin.2FCape )
Thanks given by:
Also skins in general need to be fixed a bit. Hats/Second transparent layers aren't rendered when playing on Cuberite servers.
Thanks given by:
I think the custom auth server means, you enable authentification at cuberite, insert that auth server which relays skins but answers always "this user is authed"
Thanks given by: