Custom Mob Spawn
I'd like to be able to spawn custom mobs, like Mo' Creatures, which if you are unfamiliar, includes creatures and items with custom geometry/skins/behavior. I think this is also related to custom items which would also be awesome.

I am a programmer that is ok with C++ & lua, (and a lil bit Java) but I am new to minecraft and cuberite, and am unsure where to start, but I'm totally willing to try figure it out, if people wouldn't mind giving me a point in the right direction.

Some questions:
  • Would I need to implement a sort of forge emulation layer to interoperate with the existing client-side Mo' Creatures/CustomMobSpawner? Is there a simpler/better way to get the client to know about custom geometry/skins?
  • Is the current core mob system complete enough to support custom mobs, or should I start with trying to help improve the cuberite mob core? I can't tell if it's got (near) feature-parity with the standard java minecraft server, but it seems pretty solid.
  • Where should I start, in terms of 1st iteration custom mob spawning? I imagine maybe like spawning non-mob core things, so I don't need a client-side plugin, like living cobblestone blocks or something. Am I imagining how the mob system works correctly?
Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the forum Smile

Currently it's impossible to create custom mobs. We need to change the way entities are done completely if we want an proper API for that.
Thanks given by:
(02-14-2016, 10:24 AM)NiLSPACE Wrote: Hello and welcome to the forum Smile

Currently it's impossible to create custom mobs. We need to change the way entities are done completely if we want an proper API for that.

Thanks! I am comfortable reaching into the C++ code that makes mobs work, if this is where I need to start diving in. Are others working on this? Would it make sense to start working on getting built-in mobs mostly implemented in lua, so as to help flesh out the customization interface?
Thanks given by:
I am not working on this, but I'm working on mobs in general. See this and this. I am planning to completely rewrite the mob inheritance hierarchy because it's getting very spaghetti, so if you're planning to make huge changes, it's best to coordinate first to minimize merge conflicts.
Thanks given by: