Server hosted on Raspberry pi 2B crashes every 15min
I'm running server on my rusty old RPi 2B which has 512MB of RAM and it crashes every 15min.

Logs don't populate, so I don't know what the reason could be, but when I look in the terminal after the crash, it says "Deadlock detected, terminating server". That also happens if there's no activity - no players online.

Thanks in advance.

If more info is needed, just ask.

P.M: I think that it could be due to the RAM limitation.
I have 5 worlds loaded and about 7 small plugins that I've made(nothing cpu intensive).
Thanks given by:
If it crashes with the "Deadlock detected" message there are two possibilities, either there is a bug in the code causing a deadlock; alternatively the tick thread has just slowed down enough that nothing has happened for a while so it looks like there is a deadlock to an observer.

Since the server seems to crash on a schedule, I suspect that your guess about the ram might be right. Do you have swap enabled on the pi? Can you look at how much ram is being used just before it crashes - if it is being evicted to swap then that might explain the slowness.
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2018, 05:08 PM)bearbin Wrote: If it crashes with the "Deadlock detected" message there are two possibilities, either there is a bug in the code causing a deadlock; alternatively the tick thread has just slowed down enough that nothing has happened for a while so it looks like there is a deadlock to an observer.

Since the server seems to crash on a schedule, I suspect that your guess about the ram might be right. Do you have swap enabled on the pi? Can you look at how much ram is being used just before it crashes - if it is being evicted to swap then that might explain the slowness.

I was wrong about there being 512MB of RAM... There is 1GB, at the time of crash 199MB is free, so that's probably not the cause and yeah, I have swap enabled.
Thanks given by:
Could you try disabling all the plugins?
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2018, 08:12 PM)NiLSPACE Wrote: Could you try disabling all the plugins?

Did that, only had Core enabled.
Same problem. Sad
Thanks given by:
Does the console say anything before the crash? For example if it's generating any worlds.
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2018, 03:33 PM)NiLSPACE Wrote: Does the console say anything before the crash? For example if it's generating any worlds.

No, it doesn't only the deadlock.

I think we can close this, moved server from RPi to PC, only changing the executable and it's running fine, s it's probably RAM.

Thanks for the help!
Thanks given by:
OK, it's good that it's all working now. If you wanted to try and diagnose the issue a bit more, you could try changing your settings and disable the deadlock detector on the pi, to see if the problem is just slowness or an actual crash. In your settings.ini you just need to change Enabled=1 to Enabled=0 in the DeadlockDetect section.

Code:
[DeadlockDetect]
Enabled=0
IntervalSec=20

If the server freezes up irrecoverably instead of crashing then you might have found an actual deadlock.
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2018, 05:04 PM)bearbin Wrote: OK, it's good that it's all working now. If you wanted to try and diagnose the issue a bit more, you could try changing your settings and disable the deadlock detector on the pi, to see if the problem is just slowness or an actual crash. In your settings.ini you just need to change Enabled=1 to Enabled=0 in the DeadlockDetect section.

Code:
[DeadlockDetect]
Enabled=0
IntervalSec=20

If the server freezes up irrecoverably instead of crashing then you might have found an actual deadlock.

I'll try that and will report back.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
It's unlikely that it's a memory issue as we have our Gallery server running on a Rasberry Pi 1B: https://forum.cuberite.org/thread-1372.html
EDIT:
Okay, it's down now, but that just means something else happened to it Wink
Thanks given by: