Performance Experience
I was thinking about setting up my first Cuberite server on either a Raspberry Pi 3B or Raspberry Pi 3 A+. I wonder if server admins with experience can tell me something about minimum specs and recommended specs from their point of view. I would like a rough estimate on how many players can play on a server with certain performance-impacting settings.
Would anyone share their experiences with performance on their setups?
Thanks given by:
Hello, welcome to the forum.

I run the Gallery server ( https://forum.cuberite.org/thread-1372.html ), it runs on a Raspberry Pi 1 B (the original RasPi) with 512 MiB RAM. The most we had was 7 players online at the same time, with 8 the server crashed. Note, though, that the Gallery server is very specific - it has most physics simulators disabled, redstone disabled, generator is replaced by a special plugin and max view-distance is quite limited. For regular game servers, I'd say 5 players for the original RasPi1B is about right. With double the RAM of the Pi3B, you could have double the players, or allow higher view-distance.
Thanks given by:
(02-19-2019, 05:49 PM)xoft Wrote: Hello, welcome to the forum.

I run the Gallery server ( https://forum.cuberite.org/thread-1372.html ), it runs on a Raspberry Pi 1 B (the original RasPi) with 512 MiB RAM. The most we had was 7 players online at the same time, with 8 the server crashed. Note, though, that the Gallery server is very specific - it has most physics simulators disabled, redstone disabled, generator is replaced by a special plugin and max view-distance is quite limited. For regular game servers, I'd say 5 players for the original RasPi1B is about right. With double the RAM of the Pi3B, you could have double the players, or allow higher view-distance.

Well, good to hear. Before posting my thread, I was reading through a couple of normal and sticky threads that I found interesting for giving me hopefully more answers to my questions. I was sad to see that some threads, like e.g. the server list, that were planned to be updated frequently, actually are not. I also wanted to understand the software better in general to assess it properly for certain use cases and execution plans for setting up the server. One thread I found pretty important was the one listing included and missing features but it seems like it wasn't updated in a long while, so I don't know how helpful or misleading it might be. Additionally, I read somewhere, that the server development has to catch up with newer Minecraft versions, as they continue to increase the version number on the official core. Therefore, I don't know how I feel about the stagnating amount of commits in the last year. For a finished product the development cycle is okay but from what I understood, the server has to be continually updated and improved, not only to include older features, that are still missing, but to keep up with entirely new features or adjustments held by the official core.

Basically, I am wondering if I can set up a Cuberite server today and keep it running for years and update it from time to time to enable some new features or adjustments from upstream or if I have to run the newest possible version available on Cuberight rite now, not only coping with the current bugs (I assume there are some) and missing features but also settling with this version without hope for a significant improvement within a reasonable period of time.
Thanks given by: