cWindow and cWindowOwner
I'm not yet sure how the cWindow class works. And how does cWindowOwner fit in?
From what I've seen, cWindowOwner has descendants although they don't really use much of it - there's no virtual members, so there's not much to override.

Also, does the current windowing work multi-player? (both players open the same entity's window, one player puts something in it, does the other player see it?)

I'd say this is a good candidate for a rewrite, or at least for a very good documentation Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-16-2012, 11:48 PM)xoft Wrote: I'm not yet sure how the cWindow class works. And how does cWindowOwner fit in?
From what I've seen, cWindowOwner has descendants although they don't really use much of it - there's no virtual members, so there's not much to override.

Also, does the current windowing work multi-player? (both players open the same entity's window, one player puts something in it, does the other player see it?)
The whole idea of the cWindowOwner class is that it opens a single window for multiple players. a cChestEntity is a cWindowOwner, because it owns a window.

(02-16-2012, 11:48 PM)xoft Wrote: I'd say this is a good candidate for a rewrite, or at least for a very good documentation Smile
Perhaps, I don't really understand it much myself, other than that it works XD
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure, from the code, that it cannot work correctly. If two players open the same chest, each grabs a (different) item, the chest has only one cWindow instance and only one m_DraggingItem, which means one of the grabbed items will be lost.
Also, multithreading is not accounted for in these classes.
Thanks given by:
IMO packets should be handled in a single thread instead of multiple threads, so there's no need for making it multithread safe.

You might be right about the dragging item, I only checked if it replicated the items to other clients, I didn't check whether multiple people can drag multiple items around. I'd say try it first
Thanks given by:
Packets used to be handled in the tick-thread only, so then it didn't matter.
Now packets are handled in the cSocketThreads and therefore *can* call these functions simultaneously from multiple threads (if there are >= 64 players on the server).
Thanks given by:
There's not much benefit in handling packets in separate threads though. Because so many critical sections are being locked it results in multiple threads running just as fast as a single thread.

There's probably some benefit because not all packets require critical sections to be locked, but all substantial packets do (block/entity interactions)
Thanks given by:
Packets are handled in the thread that receives them over network and decodes them. Having a thread specifically for handling packet would require handing them over to that thread, meaning even more critical sections etc.
Thanks given by:
It doesn't matter anyway, since it only becomes multiple threads when there are 64+ players on
Thanks given by: