Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation
Could you use the profiler to pin this down?

There's a script file, $/MCServer/profile_run.cmd, that you need to run as admin; check the header of that script for the links to the required tools. You also need to compile MCS in the Release Profile mode.
Once the server starts up successfully under the profiler, stop it as soon as it finishes generating. The profiler will then take some time to write the reports, they'll be located in $/Profiling/, the most useful is the profile_CallerCalleeSummary.csv file, send that one over. The script has a link to a visualising tool that you can use to see the results, too.
Thanks given by:
I'll try it ... today in about 9-12 hours Smile
Thanks given by:
I just put everything in a zip file:
.zip   Profiling MCServer.zip (Size: 61.94 KB / Downloads: 199)

I hope it works correctly because the script didn't quite work for me so I had to do it manualy.
Thanks given by:
Didn't quite work? I'd like to hear more, we want our tools to work for everyone.
Thanks given by:
It's probably because I have to execute it as an administrator. cmd.exe always gets executed from C:/Windows/system32 so it can't find MCServer_profile.exe
Thanks given by:
(05-18-2014, 10:37 PM)STR_Warrior Wrote: It's probably because I have to execute it as an administrator. cmd.exe always gets executed from C:/Windows/system32 so it can't find MCServer_profile.exe
You´re right, the standart script can´t find MCServer_profile.exe and the the Performance Toolset on my pc.
The .exe is in "C:\Games\MCServer-VillageGen\MCServer"
and the toolset in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools"
Thanks given by:
You could also try http://www.codersnotes.com/sleepy for a profiler that works with a normal release build.
Thanks given by:
Right, elevated command prompt doesn't have its working directory set properly, that explains why the script can't find MCS.
LO1ZB, you have a newer version of the perf tools, if you downloaded those mentioned in the script, they would be on the correct path

The Sleepy profiler didn't work too well for me. I've tried VerySleepy, supposedly an improved version, and it didn't provide almost any details for me. It was as if the profiler couldn't handle multiple threads.
Thanks given by:
Weird, the profiling trace you gave me doesn't have any specific info in it. As if the executable was built without the profiling support. I guess I'll need to check CMake if it generates proper project files.
Thanks given by:
I've updated the sand village prefabs, now sand villages should generate as well.

I have to say, the sandstone roads don't look good. I think I'll switch back to using gravel even in sand villages.
Thanks given by: