Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation
to make the nether work go to http://wiki.vg/Protocol (duh) and go to respawn
Thanks given by:
Well, the Nether is much more complicated than just a network packet (that is implemented already, btw).

1. It needs proper generators. None of the current generators can do the job.

2. It needs decision whether to make it a regular world or a sub-world. Each has its drawbacks - sub-world means implementing another layer of "multiworlding"; regular world means that the Anvil scheme will be different from the vanilla server - we won't have the dim-1 (and dim1 for the End) subfolders, but complete worlds. I'm inclined at the regular-world solution right now - means we can add even more "dimensions" and set their generators and such.

3. It needs some game logic support - "create portal blocks", "if the player stands in a portal block for 3 seconds, take them through. But don't take them through if they've just landed and didn't move away from the portal block", "divide coords by 8", "spawn a portal if none is near" etc.

1 is relatively easy - I'll just keep adding more generators, cooking something up for the Nether; possibly also the End. #2 might be trivial (regular world) or a nightmare (sub-world). #3 is a good candidate for a plugin. If the users want more dimensions, they just edit the plugin configuration and suddenly they have a portal to 4th, 5th, 6th dimension... I believe such a plugin can already be made with the current API, although some changes might make it much less painful.
Thanks given by:
i think the network packet is to make the sky red and no weather. but thats what i think. :S
Thanks given by:
It might, but I think it only makes the client display the "Entering The Nether" message.
Thanks given by:
Just a thought:
Could we have separate [Monsters] section in world.ini (exactly the same as for server), which would override settings.ini settings?

Reason: this would make it easy to configure sort of Nether-like worlds. And server admins could, for example, create their own "dimensions" (in order to make their servers unique)
Thanks given by:
It has already been mentioned and I plan on doing it. A bit later, though Smile

I love doing the generator stuff, so I wanna try out a few things before leaving it.
Thanks given by: Taugeshtu
Ladies and gentlemen, here comes the long awaited moment. MCServer just got usable biomes. Come have a look at the DistortedVoronoi biome generator Smile
[Image: distorted_voronoi.png]
A nightbuild will be run shortly, so keep pressing that F5 on the nighbuild downloads page Smile
Thanks given by:
Quote:Come have a look at the DistortedVoronoi biome generator
Unbelievably!
My F5 is already red-hot!
Could you please write a short guide on mapping MCS maps?
Thanks given by:
That looks really nice! Awesome!
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2012, 06:34 AM)xoft Wrote: Ladies and gentlemen, here comes the long awaited moment. MCServer just got usable biomes. Come have a look at the DistortedVoronoi biome generator Smile
Looks really good!

What's the white stuff in the water? Snow?
Thanks given by: