Random Chitchat 2012-2016
I'm guessing the 20 bytes are always different? Perhaps it's a compressed date?
Thanks given by:
Or a sequence number.
Thanks given by:
The last 4 bytes out of the 20 are the length of the JSON payload, but I can't figure out the first 16. Some of them seem like flags or status, because they are the same across all packets, some seem like a sequence number, but then not really.

Here's a Wireshark packet dump for the curious: http://www.xoft.cz/dvr-packets/
Thanks given by:
Well the second byte seems to be a sender ID. Why you'd need that on a TCP stream, I don't know.
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2016, 11:26 AM)worktycho Wrote: xoft, For navigating command lines, zsh might offer what you need, but yes I agree, the *nix ecosystem has a lot of problems with fragmentation. For example the thing about history producing random chars, is due to the fact that there are at least 3-4 separate independent components involved in handling translating the up arrow to older commands. But a well set up termcap and .bashrc (or appropriate file for the shell of your choice) can usually fix any problems. As for IDE, I personally found the fact I can swap out my compiler has lead to significant benefits (Clang). And a lot of the feeling of slowness is probably not knowing the platforms. You're comparing a system you barely know to one you know well, then complaining about discoverability.

But generally *nix is for people who like to pick and mix, and windows for people who want the advantages of integration.

and the date/time on the Pies at school are still wrong.

Do you remember what you did to get it to sync with the internal server?
Thanks given by:
Looks like the protocol was not designed for TCP. The fourth byte appears to be a fragmentation flag.

Tiger: not after two years. It involved changing the ntpd config.

But seriously, the best way to reverse engineer that DVR would be to poke it in various ways and see how it responds. Replay the first packet, send a keepalive every 20 seconds, and see when it sends alarm packets.
Thanks given by:
Yay, I just found out I can add, as a remote, a git repository over a SMB share. So finally I can test my changes on Linux without actually pushing them to the main repo - I change things on my Windows box, then ssh to the Linux box, fetch the changes, test them and if they work well, I can push from the Windows box Smile Why did it take me so long to find this setup?
Thanks given by:
Whoah, I've just noticed that if you sort all plugins by author I got a whole page for myself: https://forum.cuberite.org/forumdisplay....&order=asc ;D
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2016, 06:44 AM)xoft Wrote: I find Linux somewhat difficult to use, coming from a Windows background.
Sure, it's different, but that's not a reason to not try to get used to it Wink

(01-05-2016, 06:44 AM)xoft Wrote: First, the console irritates me. Every other moment it picks a different behavior, I never know whether, for example, history browsing using up and down arrows will work or will display garbage characters instead. It just sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Strange, I have never heard of this bug before, neither with bash or zsh. Have you made a bug report about it?

(01-05-2016, 06:44 AM)xoft Wrote: What I miss the most in the console and more or less generally everywhere on Linux is the Ctrl+left / right arrow jumping over words. That's just such a natural way to navigate long commandlines, I can't fathom how Linux guys can live without this.
Might not be in by default, but I'm fairly sure you can configure it to do so. Again, make a bug report/feature request, maybe someone will add it.

(01-05-2016, 06:44 AM)xoft Wrote: Then there's software, of course. There's nothing quite like the Visual Studio IDE and its integrated debugger, together with its ecosystem.
On Linux the debugger IDE integration has always been super-slow and awkward. In MSVC, I just hover the mouse over a few symbols and I know what I'm looking at, what the values are etc. On Linux, I'd die of exhaustion typing all those commands and watch expressions.
I don't really know that much about Visual Studio, I have only used it with some simple school projects. I just know it randomly broke on me, and it takes hours to install and/or update.
It includes all kinds of "features" I do not need. That may be a plus for someone else, but not for me.

Have you tried out Code::Blocks (assuming you're doing mostly C++)? From what I hear it's a quite capable IDE, with integrated debugger (using gcc I think).

(01-05-2016, 06:44 AM)xoft Wrote: Then there's discoverability. In Windows I can click around in the GUIs and I find all the system settings I ever need. In Linux, I need to learn obscure commandlines to do basic operations, let alone some tinkering.
Honestly, I find that the benefit in Linux. I'm constantly lost in menu's, while I just have to learn 1 or 2 commands, and it'll do the same thing. Sure you might have to search for a bit if you have to use a new command, but you'll get to know the regular commands really quickly, you'll be amazed. And depending on the programs you use you can have the same menu's like you're always used to.

Anyhow Linux is surely not for everyone, but it has become a lot better in the recent years. It's really popular under developers, which is why I don't really understand why some developers do not like it. But having some Linux knowledge could be really good for you, it gives you a better understanding of underlaying systems. And of course, it's open-source. IMO an OS should not be closed source such as OSX and Windows.

I would recommend setting up another pc, or a dual-boot, with Linux, and try it out again. If you encounter any problems, please just file bug reports, so the developers can improve it for you.

@DrMasik I wanted to switch over my personal server to FreeBSD, but am still hesitating. Is it possible that FreeBSD does not have any support for BTRFS file systems? It seems like it only supports UFS (which Linux sadly doesn't support), ZFS, and EXT2/3 (not even EXT4).
Thanks given by:
Why micro?
If I want to add c++ to my vs comunnity 2015 (using c# for unity) I need to install windows 8.1 sdk for universal apps and all this trash.
Thanks given by: