Random Chitchat 2012-2016
Cool Smile now i finaly have time to comment, will there be an entrance to caves in the surface??
Thanks given by:
Probably. They're random-generated, so I can't guarantee anything, but I can nudge the randomness in one direction or the other, so that it does what we need.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, I was too quick to judge. The caves are nowhere near as easy as the ravines. The first iteration caused an approx. 25-fold slowdown in the generator, producing 1 chunk every 2-3 seconds. And the caves are somewhat cut off, for reasons I haven't found out yet.
Here's a screenshot of the schematic rendering I have. Notice the cutoff at every 128 or so blocks:
[Image: caves_01.png]
Thanks given by:
Wow, I'm getting my own Rasberry Pi! Smile I had no idea they had so many, I ordered one like a week ago only, and I just got a shipment confirming email. Can't wait to try it out.
Thanks given by:
Consider yourself lucky! I waited almost 4 months to get mine....
Thanks given by:
Xoft i found a website i don't know if it helps for the world generation but Maybe is it usefull
http://accidentalnoise.sourceforge.net/m...orlds.html
Thanks given by:
It's from the same guy from whom I got the DualRidgeCaves idea, but unfortunately his approach is just too slow. It would mean that for each block in a chunk, several hundred math operations would need to be performed. This is plain too slow. We're alerady struggling with generator speed and this would bring it not to its nees, but below its grave, figuratively speaking.
Let's say 250 operations per block. There are 16 * 16 * 256 blocks in a chunk. That means a whopping ~16M math operations per chunk. Right now I estimate MCServer's generator to work in the order of tens of thousands of math ops per chunk. So - 100x slower??
Thanks given by:
Okay, I fixed the caves getting cut of at 128 blocks (stupid mistake, forgot to divide max offset by 2). Now there's a problem that there are not enough caves, altogether, and they are too straight.

This is what I have right now (light lines are caves' centers):
[Image: caves_02.png]

This is what vanilla does (dark lines are holes underground - caves, ravines, mines etc.):
[Image: caves_03.png]
Thanks given by:
This is what the caves can do right now. The highlights are caves centers, the darker the line is, the lower the cave is Y-wise.
I have committed the code to the repository, so if you want to test it out in 3D with a client, you can go ahead. You need to add "WormNestCaves" to the strecture generators in world.ini. Since the generator only places glowstone in the caves' centers, you'd also need a flat height generator with low height and preferably a singleblock composition generator, so that you don't get wet Smile
[Image: caves_04.png]
Thanks given by:
Whew, basic WormNestCaves are working. They aren't as good as vanilla's caves, but they're much better than anything else we've had so far. They're still a bit too regular for my taste, but hey, I invite anyone to tweak the generator as they want, I've done my homework Smile

[Image: caves_05.png]
[Image: caves_06.png]
[Image: caves_07.png]

Too regular:
[Image: caves_08.png]
Thanks given by: