Cross Plugin Compatability
(06-15-2013, 07:27 PM)tonibm19 Wrote: I think more people should know MCServer.

The intention of the post I did on the Minecraft forum was to (hopefully) get more people into MCServer.

Does anyone think its possible to add C++ plugins? since MCServer is written in C++ I think its easier to implent then squirrel.
Thanks given by:
I don't think we'll be making C++ plugins any time soon:
1, The ABI is different on each platform and for each compiler, so a plugin would need to be compiled for each platform - mess
2, The C++ plugins would still need some form of API; already the Lua API is difficult to maintain and squirrel was dropped exactly due to this problem
3, Anything you can write in C++, you can write in Lua as well, with minimum amount of effort needed. Look at me - I knew nothing about Lua when I joined 1.5 years ago and now I've written a Lua plugin tutorial Smile
Thanks given by:
(06-16-2013, 01:15 AM)STR_Warrior Wrote:
(06-15-2013, 07:27 PM)tonibm19 Wrote: I think more people should know MCServer.

The intention of the post I did on the Minecraft forum was to (hopefully) get more people into MCServer.

Does anyone think its possible to add C++ plugins? since MCServer is written in C++ I think its easier to implent then squirrel.
A month ago I made this thread (in spanish)http://www.3djuegos.com/foros/tema/21464...spi-y-mac/
Thanks given by:
So MineServer was realy stupid when they choose to use C++ as plugin language ;P
Thanks given by:
It may be a good idea if you compile from source and write all the plugins together with the server in the same repository. True, that C++ plugins are probably the most efficient.
But can you imagine us having such a thing?
Here's a ProtectionAreas plugin, download: Windows 32-bit VisualStudio here, Windows 64-bit VisualStudio here, Windows 32-bit Cygwin here, Windows 64-bit Cygwin here, Windows 32-bit MinGW here, Windows 64-bit MinGW here.

It works if you consider that the "plugins" are actually a part of the server without which it won't work - you'll compile everything at once. This is more like a "modules" approach.

If you consider plugins truly "pluggable", it doesn't work so well.

But what do I know, maybe they managed to cook up something more useful.

Oh, they don't have C++ API, they have C API. This works much better, because the ABI is well-defined.
Thanks given by: