Joining the packet sources
Good news - the detector is possible (it is already committed to svn)
Thanks given by:
Quote:Good news - the detector is possible (it is already committed to svn)
Man, this is magic!Big Grin
Does that mean that we could have both 1.2.5 and 1.3.2 clients connected to same server?

Then I'm wondering how gameplay specific will be handled... Probably .ini key would be better, since it will "force" client differentiation (otherwise we'll get protocol changes when noone's online and then some guy connects with 1.2.5)

Or I just don't get your idea for protocol detection usage...
Thanks given by:
Yes, when we write 1.3.2 protocol, the server will be able to have both version clients connected at the same time.

Currently MCServer doesn't offer anything 1.3.2-specific, so gameplay shouldn't be affected. If we later implement something specific, such as villager trading etc., we'll either drop the old protocols not supporting it or make them ignore that action silently. We'll see when the time comes.

For now the important thing is that we can work on the 1.3.2 protocol simultaneously with other changes and it doesn't break anything.
Thanks given by: Taugeshtu
Sick.
Totally awesome!
Thanks given by:
will you also add the feature of 1.3 that you can see other people's breaking block animation
Thanks given by:
That's quite low on my personal priority list. There are lots of things with higher perceived priority, such as proper physics (falling blocks, regularly behaving water and my own idea, "floody" water), minecarts (finally), spawners, ...

But maybe someone wants to contribute? Smile
Thanks given by:
omg thats quite a long list :O what will you do first :O i think first polishing the protocolTongue
Thanks given by:
Oooo, what is "floody" water? Is it finite water, like in Terraria?
The first water in MCServer was like that, but it's hard to do anything cool with it
Thanks given by:
I'm not familiar with finite water. But I think the vanilla MC way of water flow calculation is somewhat less realistic than it could be.

I'm targeting the algorithm that finds the closest drop in height and makes water spread only towards that drop. I think what could be more interesting is if the water spread into all directions equally.
Thanks given by:
I was wondering if it is possible that a normal 1.4.2 client can connect and a pocket edittion of minecraft.
Thanks given by: