Random Chitchat 2012-2016
Today my Visual Studio Community told me that my license is stale and I have to renew it. WTF? I'm really, really considering moving everything to LinuxTongue If only the X11 was more remote-friendly.
Thanks given by:
I believe the community edition still requires licenses, but they are free.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2016, 04:41 PM)xoft Wrote: If only the X11 was more remote-friendly.

It is? In my experience anyway. You can use X forwarding with SSH to use remote GUI programs, or just use something like Teamviewer or VNC. Nowadays Wayland is also coming up, so you could have a look at trying that.
Thanks given by:
@NiLSPACE Yeah, after signing in using the stupid MS account, VS decided to work again. Still, I don't feel comfortable with software-as-a-service.

@PureTryOut I had used X11 + SSH forwarding for a while, but it is quite data-intensive. I've got a 5Mbps upload on my home connection and that wasn't enough to comfortably work with that, it would take a second between a keypress and displaying the letter in QtCreator. It actually worked much better when I used RDP to connect to my Windows machine (over the 5Mbps link), and forward the X11 connection onto that machine (over home LAN, 100Mbps).

I suppose VNC could work better, but there's a bit of confusion about what's free, what's opensource and what's commercial with VNC servers and clients. Perhaps Wayland could be an improvement, when it is fully supported; I don't have enough info to actually set it up.
Thanks given by:
At least Visual studio is actually on your PC. At my work we're developing SAAS software that other companies can access using Azure Remote App. It works really slow since it has to go over the internet.Tongue
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2016, 06:50 PM)xoft Wrote: @PureTryOut I had used X11 + SSH forwarding for a while, but it is quite data-intensive. I've got a 5Mbps upload on my home connection and that wasn't enough to comfortably work with that, it would take a second between a keypress and displaying the letter in QtCreator.

Ooh no clue. I have only used Teamviewer really, which worked fine on a 0.7Mbps upload. I refuse to use it nowadays since I forbid myself from using proprietary software when it is not needed, I have to try VNC sometimes.

Anyways if you have questions or are stuck with Linux anywhere, we're happy to help! I'm also almost always available on IRC if you need quick responses.
Thanks given by:
I just came to my mind that we had a meeting this week Cry I'm so bad at keeping track of my appointments...
Thanks given by:
It is still scheduled though
Thanks given by:
Could you give us the date and time?
Thanks given by:
The first Monday of every month. 19:00 CEST / CET depending on the time in Germany
Thanks given by: