MCServer git workflow
Nice to know I'm not the only one new to GIT. I hear it is better at merging than SVN. Only time will tell (cautiously optimistic).

For what it's worth, Eclipse for C++ has a pretty nice GIT interface I'm just beginning to discover.

Is there anything on the wiki, in source (ther than the code), on the forum or elsewhere to help someone new to the project trying to understand the design, third-party dependencies, maintenance of the build process, and development processes?
Thanks given by:
I'm afraid there isn't much documentation in this sense.

The design is a bit chaotic - as things come, they get implemented more or less coherently. You know how it is - it's a million percent better job to just write some code than to document it, so no-one does that. I'd like to improve on this, so I've started a few pages in the wiki in this regard, but never got around to actually finishing that.

There shouldn't be any external third-party dependencies, everything you need to compile the server is in the repository. You may need to set up several projects in your IDE for those 3rd party libs (zlib, lua, jsoncpp, tolua, expat) though.

The build process is quite unofficial, it's just two volunteers allowing their machines to build from time to time. Bearbin uses Jenkins for building Linux and RasPi binaries. I'm using a simple windows commandshell script to build using MSVC and upload the result onto my website. Other than that, there's nothing to it. Usually if you break something, someone will tell you soon enough Smile

As for the development process, probably the most "correct" way is for you to fork the repo on GitHub, commit to your fork and create a pull request once you have something worth merging in. The GitHub pull requests are a nice way to to a code review, we can all comment on the thing and propose changes, and finally merge the changes.

And, most importantly: Welcome to the team Smile
Thanks given by:
This has just saved my life: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/89332...ash-in-git
If you ever stash changes and pop them and then you do something wrong, such as hard-resetting the branch, you might find this guide handy.
Thanks given by:
Yes, git doesn't forget much by defaultTongue
Thanks given by: