Setting up a server
Yes, that also works, it's mainly a matter of opinion.
tmux is cleaner in my opinion.
Screen is not maintained any more.

Also, Screen has trouble with "su" from a non-root account: You typically have to do "su" and then "script /dev/null" for it to work. Not such a big issue, but it's possibly a sign of the fact that it's getting oldTongue
Thanks given by:
Screen is still maintained, in fact it had a release only a year ago.
Thanks given by:
I'll go for the screen solution as it's also very flexible - anyone got at a example for a screen start command?
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 01:43 AM)denbertuz Wrote: I'll go for the screen solution as it's also very flexible - anyone got at a example for a screen start command?

I have written a complete guide for tmux. Tmux and Screen both achieve your needs, but I like Tmux more so the guide is about Tmux.

If you want screen, just follow the same guide, with the following changes:
in /etc/rc.local, you use this line instead:
Code:
su - minecraft -c 'screen -S minecraft -d -m PATH TO MCSERVER'

For attaching, you use this instead:
Code:
screen -x

For detaching, you use this instead:
Code:
Ctrl+a , d

Fixed first command.
Thanks given by:
Here's a different question...

So far, I have been running my server for friends, and friends of friends, but I think I would like to open it to the general public.

By default you can only connect to the server if the whitelist has your name. Is there a way to instead, set it up so that only people in the whitelist can manipulte the world? That way I could verify players manually and add them to the whitelist if I think they're fine. I don't want to go all out public where everybody can do anything right from the get-go, it's a recipe for disaster.
Thanks given by:
You could remove the permission "core.build" from the rank "default", and to add them in the "whitelist" you simply give them a different rank.
Thanks given by:
I'll try to find out how all these ranks work and see if I can do that! Smile Thank you!!
Thanks given by: