Information on MCServer
There are no software dependencies, but if the host runs an outdated operating system then they might need to compile the server themselves as the buildserver compiles with a version of Glibc that is too high.
Thanks given by:
@bearbin thats not a useful answer.

The server has a dependency on a c++11 compliant run-time of you're compiler's choice. On windows that means the Visual C++ runtime which should be compiled in. On Linux usually libstdc++ 3.4 or higher or any stable version of libc++, along with either libclang or libgcc, and the appropriate glibc.

So long as you compile on a machine running the same distribution and version as the one you install on, this should be covered. We run into problems because the official build is used on different distributions so its hit and miss as to whether they have the run-times.
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2015, 07:30 PM)worktycho Wrote: @bearbin thats not a useful answer.

The server has a dependency on a c++11 compliant run-time of you're compiler's choice. On windows that means the Visual C++ runtime which should be compiled in. On Linux usually libstdc++ 3.4 or higher or any stable version of libc++, along with either libclang or libgcc, and the appropriate glibc.

So long as you compile on a machine running the same distribution and version as the one you install on, this should be covered. We run into problems because the official build is used on different distributions so its hit and miss as to whether they have the run-times.

Thanks for the information! Most hosts have turned me down. One said their developer wasn't willing to implement them. 2 others I am awaiting an answer for.
Thanks given by:
Good news! A host said that software dependencies is all good and they could support it. They are having a few issues though if anybody could help out with.

Quote:As forthe software comaptibility we shoudl be all good. I Played a bit with it but I did not find how to force it to bind to a specific IP.
I did not find any documentation about possible command switches to enforce certain settings (such as IP and port especially).

Those are required to allow Game server providers to support the game as we can't really let anyone edit its port and possibly conflict with another server if you know what I mean.
I am looking for those info but if you got them feel free to share in order to speed up operations. Once we will get a basic reliable config we will provide you with a free test server so you can enjoy it and give us feed back for a while if you are ok with it.

Free test server as well which is nice. If anybody could give a solution to this, I would appreciate it.
Thanks given by:
At the moment it's not possible to force it, because we've never really considered the use case of shared hosting. This may boost the priority of https://github.com/mc-server/MCServer/issues/1942 .
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 06:50 AM)worktycho Wrote: At the moment it's not possible to force it, because we've never really considered the use case of shared hosting. This will boost the priority of https://github.com/mc-server/MCServer/issues/1942 .

Alright. It would be nice to have that implemented asap so that more hosts can actually support the software!
Thanks given by:
I suspect that our response is that it would be better to add the required rules through a firewall. MCServer plugins have unrestricted access to the file system and network, so strong protections need to be in place to prevent the MCServer process from accessing unauthorized locations.
Thanks given by:
Afair, so can bukkit plugins.
This change doesn't seem like too much of work, but it's worth discussing if it's the right thing to do.
Thanks given by:
Well, port and IP are needed, but that's approximately 20 settings, so we need to work out appropriate naming. All permutations of {Minecraft, WebAdmin, RCON}-{IP address, IPv4 address, IPv6 Address, Port, Portv4, Portv6}, plus whether webadmin and RCON are enabled, before we start looking at sandboxing plugins which would be necessary in an environment where it is necessary to force these settings in the server. After all, what prevents you from installing the IRC plugin, and binding that to another servers address/port?
Thanks given by:
Is it maybe possible to load MCServer with a white/blacklist of the IP's and ports it may bind?
Thanks given by: