Information on MCServer
My point is not that its difficult just that there are a lot of parameters and command line arguments is probably not the best way of handling this. I am thinking that maybe a second ini file with the overrides, which the hosting provider can set to unwritable by the user, may be the best option.
Thanks given by:
The host commented on the github discussion for the issue if you want to reply to him.

Quote:As a GSP we need this too in order to enforce certain parameters such as max slots and Port.
I did not find a way to force the mcserver to bind on a specific IP. This is a must have for GSP's too.

Any way to get at least command switches support added for slots, port and bind to IP ? If we had that for windows that would be great allowing us to offer the game, allowing users to get a server at a cheap price without the hassle of managing a VPS and getting the software more popular
Thanks given by:
I believe that optional ini file with overrides is the most reasonable option.
Also, i don't think plugin sandboxing is really that important - it'd be nice to have, but your average minecraft user won't use it to mess things up on purpose.
Thanks given by:
I agree, and think that sandboxing is unneeded in the initial implementation, but whatever option we choose should be able to handle it.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 07:47 AM)worktycho Wrote: I agree, and think that sandboxing is unneeded in the initial implementation, but whatever option we choose should be able to handle it.

Yeah, optional ini file seems to be the most ideal solution. Is this something that will be a while to get implemented or will we see it fairly soon?

RoxServers, the host im working with, is willing to implement it when these features become available, and I have EnviousHost which is looking into trying to support it.
Thanks given by:
I'll look into it tomorrow. The work I'm currently doing has got stalled in design issues.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 07:56 AM)worktycho Wrote: I'll look into it tomorrow. The work I'm currently doing has got stalled in design issues.

Alright, I appreciate it! Thank you and all of the other developers for your efforts on MCServer. ^-^
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 07:41 AM)jan64 Wrote: I believe that optional ini file with overrides is the most reasonable option.

lol, another config file to the 8 other files?
I mean, the idea is not bad, but parameters/arguments would the normal user not notice, because he's most likely working on windows and is double clicking the MCServer.exe

But, almost every server software make use of such arguments. Not only Minecraft, for example GarrysMod. But also Spigot and CanaryMod.

So I think, another option in the config or a additionial config file would the user confuse even more. Many users do not even know what all config options in their server do, a parameter for the basic server settings would be more inconspicuous in this case.
Thanks given by:
I'm just worried about the future impact of a command line like mcserver -s=20 -p=25565 --portv4=none --portv6=none --plugin-port-whitelist=none --ip=127.0.0.1 --ipv4=none --ipv6=none --plugin-address-whitelist

Have you seen what the build calls to compiler in an MCServer build are like? That's what a call to MCServer would be like to lock it down.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 10:05 PM)worktycho Wrote: I'm just worried about the future impact of a command line like mcserver -s=20 -p=25565 --portv4=none --portv6=none --plugin-port-whitelist=none --ip=127.0.0.1 --ipv4=none --ipv6=none --plugin-address-whitelist

Have you seen what the build calls to compiler in an MCServer build are like? That's what a call to MCServer would be like to lock it down.

Is this bad? I mean who use this parameters, mainly people who are hosting gameservers, so you configure it once and then never again.
I think, its better as an additionally config file, the parameters are there for solving such problems.

And yes I know those commands with many many parameters, not beautiful but convenient.
Thanks given by: