Random Chitchat 2019
Wow, that looks great!
Thanks given by:
It seems like moving had a bad effect on my desktop. When I first powered it up again it refused to post. I started pulling out components to only make it run with the most basic components. One memory stick, unused HDD and SSD disconnected, backup GPU back in. When I finally got it to POST again I started putting components back in. Now all components are connected again and it POSTS again, just like when I started.

It's really unstable though. After a while the whole computer just freezes, no BSOD or anything. sfc /scannow found problems but couldn't fix them so I tried a Windows reset (not a clean install) and it still freezes. I have a Linux partition which I'm gonna try, to make sure it's not a hardware problem, but unfortunately, I don't have internet on it. I don't have an ethernet cable, so I'm using a Wifi dongle, but Linux doesn't see it.
Thanks given by:
You didn't dent your case did ya ?
Cause it might be touching the backside of your motherboard.
Thanks given by:
I don't think so. The motherboard isn't mounted directly to a side panel, so the dent would have to go through the side panel to the mounting panel.
Thanks given by:
But that you are getting bsod and you are getting errors on sfc.
Might be a bad sata cable or your ssd is going down hill try to use the software of your manufacturer as example samsung for samsung ssd's and check what it shows.
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2019, 11:18 PM)NiLSPACE Wrote: It seems like moving had a bad effect on my desktop. When I first powered it up again it refused to post. I started pulling out components to only make it run with the most basic components. One memory stick, unused HDD and SSD disconnected, backup GPU back in. When I finally got it to POST again I started putting components back in. Now all components are connected again and it POSTS again, just like when I started.

It's really unstable though. After a while the whole computer just freezes, no BSOD or anything. sfc /scannow found problems but couldn't fix them so I tried a Windows reset (not a clean install) and it still freezes. I have a Linux partition which I'm gonna try, to make sure it's not a hardware problem, but unfortunately, I don't have internet on it. I don't have an ethernet cable, so I'm using a Wifi dongle, but Linux doesn't see it.
Regarding the Linux internet issue, something that has saved me in the past is USB tethering from an Android device. Linux should detect it as a normal Ethernet connection.
Thanks given by:
Those are some good ideas, I'll try that, thanks!
Thanks given by:
Probably the first thing I'd try in that situation is to make a bootable USB drive out of MemTest (https://www.memtest.org/) and try running it for a few hours. Then check the SSD, or use a DVD-booted live Linux for a while. That way I would isolate the faulty components.

Or, admit defeat and buy new innards for your desktop. The Ryzen 3xxx looks really delicious, I wish I could have waited for them with my upgrade. Still, the Ryzen 2700 I have is a great CPU, too, especially coupled with fast RAM; I can full-heartedly recommend.
Thanks given by:
I did already try the windows memory diagnostic, though granted, it wasn't the most thorough config. I'll try memtest as well for a few hours, perhaps I'll get better results from that. My components are pretty new. I have a 2600X and an RX 5700 XT, so I'd rather not replace them this soon.
Thanks given by:
Fun times ahead. A friend who promised to lend his big van and help us with moving suddenly backs out, so I have to actually call a moving company. No idea how that works and what to expect. Two weeks to Christmas, with a full house to move.
Thanks given by: