Random Chitchat 2020-2024
I can't help but wonder, why do online translators (Google translate, most likely) butcher Cuberite into Cutrite when translating from Chinese? I've already seen it multiple times.
Thanks given by:
This! THIS!
THIS IS INCREDIBLY AWESOME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltJiblYEqiA
Thanks given by:
I used to watch the original when I was a kid, but I never found it again and then forgot about it. I didn't expect I'd be reminded of it here Wink
Thanks given by:
Sending y'all festive greetings, and best wishes for 2024! Merry Christmas everyone.
Thanks given by:
Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Merry Christmas and best wishes everyone! Smile
Thanks given by:
Star 
time_t t = time(NULL);
struct tm tm = *localtime(&t);
std::cout << std::boolalpha << (tm.tm_year + 1900 == 2024);

true

:D
Thanks given by:
Happy new year everyone Smile
Thanks given by:
Hello everyone, seems like this will be the 2024 chitchat thread as well Smile

I just have to share this. TLDR: I have just used Cuberite in a class.Big Grin

I have been asked to take over leading a robotics club in the neighboring village's primary school. At first I declined, fearing my non-existent skills with children, but then remembered karma - when I was in a primary school, we had computer club only because my dad agreed to teach it, so now it was my turn to do the same. So it turns out the kids build lego robots and play minecraft in turns. How they came to this arrangement I have no idea, but I don't mind. On the first day I blew their mind by bringing in my quadcopters' camera and FPV goggles, so they could drive the robots they built while seeing from the robot's perspective. The second day it was minecraft time and I blew their mind again by bringing in Cuberite and telling them I wrote parts of it. It seems I have some mini-fans now, hopefully they are inspired Smile

On a side note, I have a few notes regarding improvements, I'll see if I can muster some stamina to actually code something up again. It'd be nice to get involved again, if only for a bit.
Thanks given by:
That's awesomeBig Grin I've always thought that programming for Minecraft is a great way to get introduced to programming (though perhaps I'm biased since it's the way I was introduced to it :p ). Being able to see the effects of the changes in your code in a game like Minecraft makes it much easier to visualize than a console window. With Cuberite using Lua, which also has a very simple syntax, instead of a compiled language it makes the barrier of entry much lower.

PS. The robot sounds awesome. When I went to college we had to make a Lego robot that automatically loads and unloads containers. It's amazing that they're already working on robotics in primary school.
Thanks given by: