Random Chitchat 2012-2016
xoft Wrote:Unfortunately it's even slower than Noise3D, though not by much.
i was hoping it was possibleTongue
Thanks given by:
It's fast enough when used alone, but when used together with Trees, it gets really slow.

That's because Trees ask the surrounding 3x3 chunk neighbors for composition, so for each chunk generated there's 9 chunks worth of composition calculated.
Thanks given by:
I'm fighting with the lighting engine, it's bugged again, and the new generator made it much more apparent. I've already identified and fixed one bug, but there's at least one more. It's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... stuff, everything intertwined with everything else. Before I can do a good generator, I have to fix the lighting, otherwise I won't know what the terrain really looks like and whether the bugged lighting is because of the lighting engine or because the generator is feeding wrong data into it.
Thanks given by:
do you mean all the big black spots in the terrain under the overhangs?
Thanks given by:
We don't have those - at least not as often as vanilla.

I'm talking about badly calculated shadows and all-black water.
Thanks given by:
There, lighting should be finally alright, *if* it gets correct heightmap data from the generator. And it will still bug if there's a transparent non-air block as the top one. But that's alright for now, I can finally finish the generator without fearing about its output light-wise.

I'll be needing some volunteer testers in a short time. I'm (hopefully) finishing the new biome-aware overhang compositing generator and I'll soon need people to tweak the various per-biome parameters of the generator so that the terrain looks nice for each biome.
Thanks given by:
Well, it seems that the volunteers won't be needed after all, the settings kinda worked out the first time around, maybe I'll add some little tweaking later, but I'm quite content with what I've done.
Extreme hills rising above a Plains biome, with a little forest in the back:
[Image: overhangs_biomal.jpg]

Committed as rev 1445, set HeightGen and CompositionGen to DistortedHeightmap.

Note that the terrain composition is not finished yet, so there's only sand on the ocean floor, there's no sand in the deserts etc. These will be addressed later on.
Thanks given by:
it looks realy nice but its just so slow that my client freezes Sad
Thanks given by:
Nice!
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 06:35 AM)STR_Warrior Wrote: it looks realy nice but its just so slow that my client freezes Sad
That slow? Weird, on my computer, it's about 3x slower - instead of 70 chunks / sec, I had 25.
I tightened a few things in rev 1448, so now it's at about 35 chunks / sec.

I think I can squeeze quite a bit more speed out of it while at the same time eliminating most of the weird 1-block irregularities, but it's gonna take a while.
Thanks given by: