Random Chitchat 2012-2016
Merry Christmas Smile
Thanks given by:
Merry Christmas everyone! It's been a very productive and busy year so farBig Grin
Thanks given by:
Merry Christmas too Smile I've been productive tooTongue android app is coming in the near future (downloading and running cuberite works without any problems the way android wants it to run.... Well what's missing is a bit nice ui and the settings which I'm already working on (manual install, installing without checksums, webadmin settings,... That's it for now)
Thanks given by:
I've finished reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and it's awesome. It's like HP for the grownups, it fixes all the things that were too deus-ex-machina-ish in JKRowling's books, it's a delight to read. It's really smart and well written. I heartily recommend it to anyone, go read it too. It's a free e-book, after all, and really worth every page: http://www.hpmor.com

A quick teaser (from the preface to chapter 22):
PETUNIA EVANS married Michael Verres, a Professor of Biochemistry at Oxford.
HARRY JAMES POTTER-EVANS-VERRES grew up in a house filled to the brim with books. He once bit a math teacher who didn't know what a logarithm was. He's read Godel, Escher, Bach and Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases and volume one of The Feynman Lectures on Physics. And despite what everyone who's met him seems to fear, he doesn't want to become the next Dark Lord. He was raised better than that. He wants to discover the laws of magic and become a god.
HERMIONE GRANGER is doing better than him in every class except broomstick riding.
DRACO MALFOY is exactly what you would expect an eleven-year-old boy to be like if Darth Vader were his doting father.
PROFESSOR QUIRRELL is living his lifelong dream of teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts, or as he prefers to call his class, Battle Magic. His students are all wondering what's going to go wrong with the Defense Professor this time.
DUMBLEDORE is either insane, or playing some vastly deeper game which involved setting fire to a chicken.
DEPUTY HEADMISTRESS MINERVA MCGONAGALL needs to go off somewhere private and scream for a while.
Presenting:
HARRY POTTER AND THE METHODS OF RATIONALITY
You ain't guessin' where this one's going.
Thanks given by:
Better survival (:P): You should now be able to get diamonds and redstone by smelting diamond ore and redstone ore. Somehow the smelting recipes were not added to the server.
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2016, 07:13 AM)xoft Wrote: I've finished reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and it's awesome. It's like HP for the grownups, it fixes all the things that were too deus-ex-machina-ish in JKRowling's books, it's a delight to read. It's really smart and well written. I heartily recommend it to anyone, go read it too. It's a free e-book, after all, and really worth every page: http://www.hpmor.com

A quick teaser (from the preface to chapter 22):
PETUNIA EVANS married Michael Verres, a Professor of Biochemistry at Oxford.
HARRY JAMES POTTER-EVANS-VERRES grew up in a house filled to the brim with books. He once bit a math teacher who didn't know what a logarithm was. He's read Godel, Escher, Bach and Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases and volume one of The Feynman Lectures on Physics. And despite what everyone who's met him seems to fear, he doesn't want to become the next Dark Lord. He was raised better than that. He wants to discover the laws of magic and become a god.
HERMIONE GRANGER is doing better than him in every class except broomstick riding.
DRACO MALFOY is exactly what you would expect an eleven-year-old boy to be like if Darth Vader were his doting father.
PROFESSOR QUIRRELL is living his lifelong dream of teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts, or as he prefers to call his class, Battle Magic. His students are all wondering what's going to go wrong with the Defense Professor this time.
DUMBLEDORE is either insane, or playing some vastly deeper game which involved setting fire to a chicken.
DEPUTY HEADMISTRESS MINERVA MCGONAGALL needs to go off somewhere private and scream for a while.
Presenting:
HARRY POTTER AND THE METHODS OF RATIONALITY
You ain't guessin' where this one's going.

xoft, wat.
Thanks given by:
It's nearly 2017!

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthd...

...wait. I made the same mistake last year.

um

Old lang sine!!
Thanks given by:
Also, LogicParrot has... taken it upon himself to destroy one of our best traditions, the "What we're doing thread".

This is completely unacceptable and I think it calls for pitchforks.
Thanks given by:
But it was discussed.
Thanks given by:
Pitchforks D:
Thanks given by: