Random Chitchat 2012-2016
(07-13-2012, 12:52 AM)xoft Wrote: True, I'm running in Debug mode which has its penalties, but I don't think they'd be so big.
Well, On my system the difference is huge.
In Debugmode it takes me about 30 sec to be able to join. (30Sec to be up)
In Releasemode the server is up within a few secounds O.o
Thanks given by:
he's right on release mode it takes just one secondBig Grin thanks Lapayo
Thanks given by:
I'd consider one order of magnitude to be the normal difference between the debug and release versions. But with the new trees, it's more like three or four orders of magnitude - instead of 20 chunks per second, I get one chunk in a minute?
Oh, and I'm comparing old debug to new debug, not old release to new debug, so the difference is even worse.

STR_Warrior, Release version is built using VS, menu Build -> Configuration manager -> select "Release" as the Active solution configuration at the top combo; then compile like normal. The resulting exe will be Release. Don't forget to switch back to Debug if you want breakpoints and watches to work Wink
Thanks given by:
i now have it on release mode but there is a bug (also with debug) when it generates terrain it uses 30% of my cpu sometimes even more Sad
Thanks given by:
Well, what would you expect? Terrain generation is the most difficult part. Especially with your trees Wink
The Debug doesn't use that much CPU, because the debug runtime has a serializing memory allocator - each memory allocation locks all other threads from allocating memory until it finishes, causing all threads to serialize into at most one core, if they are allocating memory too often.
Thanks given by:
ooh so that is why the generation is about 30% slower if you have marblecaves on?
Thanks given by:
No, marblecaves are computationally intensive in their nature - for each and every stone block in the chunk, several math functions are calculated to find out if the block should be dug out or not.
Thanks given by:
and does that also happen with the upcomming ravines??
Thanks given by:
Unknown yet. Probably not.
Thanks given by:
and that is good right?Big Grin
Thanks given by: