IPv6 compatibility
I think it's about time we discussed this - how to make MCServer IPv6 compatible? Right now we support only IPv4. This is not acceptable for quite a lot of hosting servers, where they have only an IPv6 address visible from the internet (I'm on one such host)

First, we need to decide, whether IPv6 and IPv4 should coexist in the server and whether it should be possible to turn each off in the config. How co make that config option backwards-compatible?

Second, there's obviously the implementation. I personally have never done anything IPv6, so I don't have any idea on how it's done, how easy or difficult it's gonna be. But I suppose the current architecture of "one listener thread" will have to go, we'll need something better.

Your thoughts?
Thanks given by:
What's the difference?Tongue I thought IPv6 was just a different way of naming computers on a network.

As you can see I don't even know what IPv6 is...
Thanks given by:
When creating a socket, you need to specify whether to use IPv4 or IPV6 address. So you can't bind to 0.0.0.0, but another address used for IPv6. Also the socket needs to be created with AF_INET6 (?) parameter instead of AF_INET. That's about all I can remember.
Thanks given by:
IPv6 should be implemented in rev 1253. However, I had no means of testing (my home network is IPv4-only), so I'd need someone to actually test this somehow.

I've updated the wiki with the settings:
http://mc-server.org/wiki/doku.php?id=co...er_section
Thanks given by:
As much as I can test it, it's working.
I only have a single IPv6 machine on an isolated network, so my tests comprise of setting up an SSH tunnel to IPv6 on that machine. That seems to work.
Thanks given by:
Well what a surprise! I came home and found out that I cannot run MCServer, because my Windows XP doesn't have one of the IPv6 functions. So I had to rewrite one MCServer function to fix that.
Thanks given by:
Can anyone connect to my MC server at xoft.cz ? It's IPv6-only and I'm not on an IPv6-capable network (or rather, my IPv6 is existing but cut off from the internet access by the ISP)
Thanks given by:
As my home computer isn't IPV6 compatible, I had to use my vps. I didn't have a MC client, so I just telnetted in, but I got a connection refused message. It seems not to work.
Thanks given by: