New minecraft version. (1.15)
I hope this won't concern us either: https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/38...1074634752
Thanks given by:
I'm afraid that concerns us a lot
Thanks given by:
By DinnerBone - Most packets themselves aren't going to change much but the handshaking and ping procedure is being redone.
Thanks given by:
Oh that's just great... Although I do hope they improve the latency a lot, that would be interesting. Perhaps by using UDP and some sort of movement prediction.
Thanks given by:
They can't use UDP, it wouldn't work with (stream) encryption; and UDP encryption brings in too much network bandwidth overhead. I think in today's world using TCP is good enough for most purposes.

And movement prediction is already there - all the entities send their velocity, so the client can predict where they'll be.
Thanks given by:
Oh, okay. AFAIK most FPS games do use UDP though since it has less latency, screw encryption, who cares where you're going to in a game... :/
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 06:37 AM)FakeTruth Wrote: Oh, okay. AFAIK most FPS games do use UDP though since it has less latency, screw encryption, who cares where you're going to in a game... :/

Apparently people don't like their session stole (SessionStealer) by griefers who then use that info to op-grief the stealee's server.Tongue
Thanks given by:
That's just for login. You would login over TCP and use UDP for movement. You don't need encryption for the UDP data...
Thanks given by:
Then someone could simply steal the connection while you're connected. It'd be a bit more difficult, but not immensely, script kiddies would do it all the time.
Thanks given by:
Steal the UDP connection? Who cares :p
Thanks given by: