Setting up a server
In the meantime, while the official binaries are not available, you could build the server from source on the RaspberryPi. The instructions for that can be found here: https://github.com/mc-server/MCServer/bl...reebsd-etc
If you are on jessie, you should be fine. On wheezy you'd probably need to find a way to get a newer version of the g++ compiler, since the one in the wheezy repositories is pretty outdated.
If you run into any trouble or have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2015, 08:22 AM)Woazboat Wrote: In the meantime, while the official binaries are not available, you could build the server from source on the RaspberryPi. The instructions for that can be found here: https://github.com/mc-server/MCServer/bl...reebsd-etc
If you are on jessie, you should be fine. On wheezy you'd probably need to find a way to get a newer version of the g++ compiler, since the one in the wheezy repositories is pretty outdated.
If you run into any trouble or have any questions, feel free to ask.

Yes, and if you're very lazy you can use this.
Thanks given by:
Raspberry pi CI builds are back up, could anybody with the issues test and make sure it's resolved now?
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2015, 09:03 PM)denbertuz Wrote: Will install a fresh Raspbian, upgrade from wheezy to Jessie and then make a clean MCServer setup and report back Smile

Installed a fresh version from the netinstaller

Installed nano and curl then added Minecraft user and ran the curl command to download.

changed to Minecraft user and bingo - works great really great
Thanks given by:
Quick question - My kids has created a world on their local machine - Can I copy all the foles in /world and move it to the MCServer /world folder and restart the server, or will i break something here?
Thanks given by:
You should copy the "region" folder from inside the world, overwriting the region folder in MCS's world.

Note that player inventories will not be migrated, so if they have any precious stuff, they should put it into a chest prior to the move.
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2015, 06:38 PM)xoft Wrote: You should copy the "region" folder from inside the world, overwriting the region folder in MCS's world.

Note that player inventories will not be migrated, so if they have any precious stuff, they should put it into a chest prior to the move.

Thanks for a fast reply - actually the move is from a minecraft server running on the local machine (Windows 7) - I'll ask the kids to save their stuff in their chests
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2015, 05:17 PM)denbertuz Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 09:22 PM)Safwat Wrote: Approach 2, boot at system boot (but no interactive window)
  • edit /etc/rc.local, note that you must be root to edit that, possible commands that achieve this are sudo leafpad /etc/rc.local or sudo nano /etc/rc.local
  • Put the following inside, just above the last line which is exit 0
    Code:
    sudo -u pi -- "PATH TO THE MCSERVER EXECUTABLE" & disown

Note that all double-quotes are to be kept, the only thing you need to modify is the uppercase PATH TO THE MCSERVER EXECUTABLE

Normally I would set up a user for such a service e.g. user minecraft - Hence I will try with:

Code:
-u minecraft -- "/home/minecraft/MCServer/MCServer" & disown

reinstalled clean raspbian "jessie" - can't invoke it to start MCServer with boot - runs if i start it from terminal - anyone got a clue?

See my [Image: rc_local.png]
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2015, 08:18 PM)denbertuz Wrote: reinstalled clean raspbian "jessie" - can't invoke it to start MCServer with boot - runs if i start it from terminal - anyone got a clue?

I suspect it's the wrong path. You need the path to the executable, not just to the folder.

Shouldn't it be this?
Code:
/home/minecraft/MCServer/MCServer/MCServer

Or perhaps this?
Code:
/home/minecraft/MCServer/MCServer

Also, now that I think of it, a much better way to do it is using "tmux", it will allow you to attach to the console whenever you want, I'll post a little guide if you're interested.
Thanks given by:
Screen is also a good tool for attaching to the terminalBig Grin
Thanks given by: