Random Chitchat 2019
A new year, a new chitchat thread! Hopefully everyone is doing great. Smile

Older chitchat threads can be found here:
Thanks given by:
Too bad there's some replies I wanted to do in the 2018 thread, I'll try if it works cross-thread Wink

(12-29-2018, 09:57 AM)ThuGie Wrote: Anyway it looks really nice Smile, never really talked with my gf about going there for vacation, perhaps we should.
The land is beautiful, the people are crazy (but good-hearted) and the food is incredibly spicy hot. I'd recommend visiting the country, but not staying at the same place, rather try getting a tour, visiting multiple places. To give a few pointers: Sigiriya, Mihintale, Yapahuwa, Anuradhapura, Polonaruwa, Kandy, Ella, Mulkirigala, Udawalawe. Also, the local currency is rather weak so anyone can feel like royalty Smile

I'm back and I hope y'all'll like what I'm preparing Smile
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2019, 05:36 AM)xoft Wrote: Too bad there's some replies I wanted to do in the 2018 thread, I'll try if it works cross-thread Wink

(12-29-2018, 09:57 AM)ThuGie Wrote: Anyway it looks really nice Smile, never really talked with my gf about going there for vacation, perhaps we should.
The land is beautiful, the people are crazy (but good-hearted) and the food is incredibly spicy hot. I'd recommend visiting the country, but not staying at the same place, rather try getting a tour, visiting multiple places. To give a few pointers: Sigiriya, Mihintale, Yapahuwa, Anuradhapura, Polonaruwa, Kandy, Ella, Mulkirigala, Udawalawe. Also, the local currency is rather weak so anyone can feel like royalty Smile

I'm back and I hope y'all'll like what I'm preparing Smile

We are going to Greece this year, together with a friend that comes from there, where planning to also go back to thailand this year,
But we really should start saving up to buy a house, but there is always next year Smile.
Thanks given by:
I HATE WINTER!!!!!

Stupid winter with its stupid static-electricity-inducing weather! I sat down at my computer, touched the mouse, got electrocuted and it fried my workstation, my UPS, tripped my house circuit breakers and even the street circuit breakers. WTF????

So now I'm left with either an old laptop or an old Linux workstation, neither of which is too good for development. Luckily it seems the harddrives survived, only the power supply seems fried, but because it's a HP 8200, I can't just swap another PSU in, because the "geniuses" at HP decided to use a non-standard power plug, and a replacement PSU is no longer available. I've found some adapter cable on ebay that promises to convert from a normal power supply to the HP power connectors, but it'll take a month to get here.

And yes, I was about to buy an upgrade, but I was waiting for the 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs...

Here a guy wires up the custom power connectors:
Thanks given by: PCPlayerLV
Ah, that sucks. In the winter I'm always electrocuting my laptop at work, it's really frustrating. Luckily it hasn't been damaged (yet).
Thanks given by:
Oh well, so I got a new computer, with Ryzen 2700. My colleague talked me into building the thing myself, said it was still easy. And I managed. Surprisingly, the part that I thought would be the most difficult - installing the CPU - was the easiest. And on the contrary, the part I thought would be easy turned out to be a nightmare. I was really unlucky with my case selection, I think the person responsible for the case's design was missing one vital organ - a brain. The mainboard was a really tight fit, and they decided to put the drives to the bottom of the case, so it's impossible to plug anything into the mainboard. And they thought mounting SSDs on the side of the case was cool, but forgot that SATA connectors are right-angled, with the cable pointing into the case wall. Not to mention that all the cables for the built-in stuff were too short to even reach the mb...
Some people compare building a PC to playing with LEGO, but it's allot more difficult and fragile than that. There are SATA cables with their connector in different angles: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...SX466_.jpg It's a bit more difficult if such a cable wasn't provided with your motherboard though Wink Which case did you use? I have the Fractal Design Define C TG which was really easy to use and looks good as well.
Thanks given by:
SilentiumPC Armis AR1, https://www.alza.cz/EN/silentiumpc-armis...340964.htm
Until now I didn't believe in investing a lot of money into a case. Clearly I had no idea how bad some of them may be.
The problem is that the next one price-wise that matched my requirements was 3x more expensive.

My main spending point for this build was RAM speed, which is the bottleneck for Factorio mega-bases Smile Apparently I still could optimize the build somehow, it's not using its full potential:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13993804
Thanks given by:
If you're willing to put some more time into it you could tighten your RAM timings using the calculator: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryz...alculator/ Apparently AMD Ryzen is really depending on the timings as well as RAM speed.
Thanks, that is actually useful, I wondered where to get all the numbers that BIOS was wanting from me, out of the four numbers the RAM manufacturer provides. I'll give it a try in the evening.

Weird thing that the RAM has some profiles (JEDEC / XMP) built in which seem to include all the timings BIOS needs, but somehow it is unable to use anything other than the default slowest profile. The BIOS coders sure could use some training in designing user-friendly programsTongue

On an unrelated note, I've upgraded to VS2017 some time ago, removed all the previous versions, and thus broke the official Cuberite builds. So I finally took the time to fix them. Weird that they take even more time than on the old computer, but most of the time seems spent in the preparation phase, especially cmake-ing libEvent, and the artifact upload stage.