Farming
I've been fixing up farming on the server. Most of it is already somewhat functional:
- hoes create farmland out of dirt and grass
- farmland hydrates and de-hydrates based on water being nearby
- seeds can be planted on farmland
- planted seeds grow
- the growth is more or less evenly distributed, there is no extremely favored pattern anymore

What I've observed:
- growth is quite fast, much faster than in vanilla MC
- hydration doesn't influence growth rate
- farmland doesn't get trampled server-side, only client-side

What still doesn't work:
- hoes don't get damaged on use
- crops, when destroyed, don't drop anything - no wheat, no seeds.
- not sure if pumpkins and melons work - didn't test
- farmland, even if trampled, wouldn't uproot planted seeds

Any thoughts about this so far?

Especially, should I keep the extra fast growth? And how about calculating hydration by a different formula than vanilla MC? Such as max-hydration = distance from water block; then growth rate linearly proportional to hydration.
Thanks given by:
Quote:- crops, when destroyed, don't drop anything - no wheat, no seeds.
crops drop crops
Quote:- not sure if pumpkins and melons work - didn't test
they are growing but i don't know if they grow mellons/pumpkins

Quote:Especially, should I keep the extra fast growth? And how about calculating hydration by a different formula than vanilla MC? Such as max-hydration = distance from water block; then growth rate linearly proportional to hydration.

would be a nice idea but i think that the normal vanilla is the best for now and if its done would it be AWSOME if all that could be added toBig Grin
farmland should become dirt when you jump/walk on it
Thanks given by:
I think the extra fast growth is caused by more frequently ticking the blocks. Just slow it a bit.Tongue
Thanks given by:
Vanilla MC ticks 48 blocks per chunk in each game tick. MCServer ticks 50 blocks in each game tick. That's not the cause for the different growth speed.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tick#Block_Ticks

I think vanilla slows the growth based on hydration - crops on a 1/4 hydrated block grow 4 times as slow, etc. Would make sense.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's probably it.
Thanks given by:
Quote:should I keep the extra fast growth?
How about settable growth speed?
Quote:how about calculating hydration by a different formula than vanilla MC? Such as max-hydration = distance from water block; then growth rate linearly proportional to hydration.
Just a thought:
Distance-based hydration is nice and clear for understanding, and I would greatly appretiate if flowing water would hydrate soil too (think of irrigation channels)
Thanks given by:
If you make anything settable, then you're most certainly going to run into a fool who sets it wrong and blames you for itTongue Look at how Apple does things nowadays - nothing settable, and people love it. Not that I'm saying I like that philosophyTongue

So far we've been trying to get as close to the vanilla server as possible, this would be a direct violation of that "directive".

Any kind of water is accepted for irrigation, so soil will be hydrated even by flowing water.
Thanks given by:
Quote:If you make anything settable, then you're most certainly going to run into a fool who sets it wrong and blames you for it
True. Look at viewdistance settingTongue

Not that I'm trying to push on you Smile I think, that would be nice to have...
Thanks given by:
Another question: if I code bonemeal to work on crops, should I make it work on other growables as well? Think sugarcane, melons, cacti, ...
Thanks given by:
Quote:should I make it work on other growables as well?
I can see no reason for avoiding it. In my mind, this won't force melons to produce melon instantly (just like in vanilla), but having an option to inta-grow sugarcane and cacti is nice.
Don't forget Nether Wart as well! And probably trees....
Thanks given by: